Sunday, December 4, 2011

Looks Are Important...To Me.

A number of years ago the Pheasants Forever organization decided that it would be a good idea to expand the organization to support the dwindling population of quail as well. Good idea and they've done a lot of great work in increasing habitat and engaging farmers in creating more quail friendly areas on their properties. I admire the organization but I've never cared much for their logo. I think as an art director/designer that's probably why I felt compelled to play around a bit with a logo that for me better suits the noble bearing of Gentle Bob. 

First let me say what I don't care for in the original logo. I guess I understand the marketing reasons behind making the QF logo look just like the PF logo. Most likely they want to create synergy between the two organizations in the mind of the donating public and in this part of the country the two game birds share the same landscape so doing for one benefits the other.
Well none of that has anything to do with the esthetics of the logo, which 
for me if I'm going to put your decal on the back window of my truck I better like it. A lot. So with all that said and without further ado here is what I designed.


Simple. To the point. No moody 1980s looking sunrise and color scheme. I didn't want to use the stereo typical flushing quail because frankly I've seen it a thousand times and it would be hard to do anything even remotely unique using that. I drew inspiration from a couple of logos that have stood the test of time. The browning logo and the Ducks Unlimited logo as well. Both are simple and iconic. So for my purpose I chose a proud quail crowing. A clarion to gather if you will, a demand to come together for the groups protection and strength, which if you've flushed a covey quail before and hung around for a half hour or so you've probably heard it yourself. I think this logo fits the crown prince of game birds, a quarry that goes by a number of names...Bob White, Grey Ghost and Gentleman Bob. He's refined, classic and a bird that has created incredible a following like no other among bird hunters . You'll get arguments from some for grouse, pheasant maybe even partridge but those people most likely think McDonald's makes great sweet tea. Sacrilege.

Letterhead.

Envelope and business card.

Window decal which would be reversed to white.
     



2 comments:

  1. That's because you don't know any better and I guess I'm to blame for that!

    ReplyDelete