Friday, September 9, 2011

Patience, I must learn patience

Yesterday I left work a little early to get a couple hours in of hunting at the farm. I decided on a location further into the property where there are a few out buildings and sunflowers are planted between them. The spot is probably about a half acre in size and surrounded on all sides by a barbed-wire fence. There are some electrical lines hanging across one section which is perfect for hanging a couple decoys. I spooked a few doves that were on the ground when I first walked up (a good sign) and so I proceeded to put out my two mojo's and decoys. In all I have two motorized mojo's, one wind driven mojo, two decoys with fishing line attached for the wire and eight clip on decoys for the fence. I decided I wouldn't use my rotating ground decoys that day because frankly I was tired of setting everything up.

I quickly had two dove come in about five minutes apart. Two doves, two shots. Good start. Well another 45 minutes goes by and nothing. I decide to pick everything up and move down by the slough for the last hour. No sooner do I grab the last decoy off the fence when four dove come in. Soon followed by five more, then another three. Damn! So I set everything back up again. Patience is something I should have brought with me. I ended up getting three more dove and missing about four.


Not a bad couple of hours but it could have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment