Saturday, September 3, 2011

Thank you Lord for retrievers!




Saturday morning dawned bright, sunny and a little cooler so I decided to take Bama with me for the first time this season. Smart move on my part. Yeah well with me sometimes luck and smart can be the same thing but I'm sure glad I had him this morning. I set up just inside the property next to a slough with a canal running through it that carries over to the Mississippi River about a mile or so away. I posted a photo here of the slough that shows a tree line on the other side to the left of the photo. That's where Bama and I set up. I had my decoys and mojo's out about 20 yards in the cut corn field. It proved to be a great spot but had one problem and that was when I shot the birds that were coming towards me they landed in the slough behind me. That's where Bama came in. The first two birds of the morning came in. I shot as the first crossed over my right shoulder and hit him but damn I could see that he was going to go into the water and mud behind me. I swung on the second bird that veered left and knocked him down out in the field. Suddenly behind me I hear splashing and a kind of sucking sound. I turn and see Bama going after the first bird through the mud and muck as I started out into the field for the second bird. Bama emerged from the slough covered in mud up to his chin which clinched the first dove I'd shot. Damn I love retrievers! Bama and I got 14 birds today of which five or six were mud retrieves. He did a great job but it sure wore his butt out, he's laying on the floor beside me right now snoring and no doubt dreaming of his next retrieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment