Saturday, August 20, 2011

The shell game

My main reason for going to Cabela's this morning was to pick up a case of shells for my 20 gauge. My usual go to choice for shells are Winchester AA's 1oz. 2.5 dram 7.5's but those get a little pricey when dove hunting because of the numbers of shells one goes through. As I stated in my earlier post Cabela's was having a huge HUNTING SALE so I checked out their selection and found a really good price on the Winchester Super X Heavy Game Loads. At $54.99 a case that's about a $2.50 cost per box savings over the AA's. The specs were the same as the AA's so I thought what the heck I'll give these a shot (pun intended). As you can see from the pics, the shell hulls are a little different and the AA's use brass as opposed to some aluminum alloy on the Super X shells. The alloy has a tendency to swell when heated cycling through an auto loader but shouldn't be any problem in my side-by-side or over and under Franchi's. At least that's my hope.
Bama seemed fine with either choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment